At their meeting in Oshkosh, Wisconsin on November 11-12, the IAC board of directors approved the Rule Proposals as recommended by the Rules Committee:
- Barrett Hines, Chair
- Jim Bourke, IAC president
- Mike Gallaway, CIVA Delegate
- DJ Molny, Judge Program Chair
- Shad Coulson, Glider Aerobatics Chair
46 rule changes were proposed by members for possible inclusion in the 2024 book. These were numbered in order of the date received. A few of these inputs were initiated by the Rules Program Chair based on verbal requests and prior CIVA actions. Some proposals were essentially complete as received with associated rule numbers and proposed text, but most submissions required interpretation toward intent and/or actual generation of rules text by the Rules Committee.
Notices were published asking for member comments. Fifteen members provided comments on at least one item, with several commenting on most proposals. All comments are included in the proposal descriptions presented at the board meeting.
To help facilitate review by the Board of Directors, the rule change proposal recommendations have been divided into four Board review categories:
- “Easy Accept” – Proposals, as sometimes revised by the Rules Committee, that are believed will be readily accepted by the Board. It is recommended that the Board adopt these, or perhaps a subset as the Board wishes, with one singular motion.
- “Easy Reject” – Proposals that are believed will be readily rejected by the Board. It is recommended that the Board reject these, or perhaps a subset as the Board wishes, with one singular motion.
- “Editorial” – Proposals, as sometimes revised by the Rules Committee, that revise the text but do not change the intent of the current rules. It is recommended that the Board adopt these, or perhaps a subset as the Board wishes, with one singular motion.
- “Discussion” – Proposals that are believed the Board will likely wish to discuss in more detail. The Rules Committee provides recommendations for each but recognizes that the Board may decide otherwise or want to amend the specifics of the change. This category might also include “Easy Accept”, “Easy Reject” or “Editorial” proposals the Board wishes to discuss more thoroughly and thus not included in the respective motions above.
The following Rule Proposals were accepted:
- 2024-4 Glider Presentation K Values; The Advanced and Unlimited Presentation Ks to match the CIVA "Positioning K" for Gliders
- 2024-8 Alternate to Inverted -Start Wing Wags; When first figure of sequence is inverted the first two wing dips may be upright with the third wing dip inverted by changing the flight attitude from upright to inverted with a half-roll prior to final wing dip.
- 2024-9 Recording of Signaling Penalties; Added verbiage to include rule applies for restart.
- 2024-14 Add more down loops to Unlimited Unknown; Adopted CIVA Rules Change for allowable figures.
- 2024-16 Delete Dual Seat Belts requirement for Glider Unlimited category.
- 2024-17 Move Altitude Limits Description; Move of information from 13.5 to 7.2 and 13.5.1. to 7.2.1.
- 2024-18 Spin Entry Penalty; Delete clarification of existing rule 28.24.4.
- 2024-20 Drawings Conflicts on Program Forms; ambiguous wording regarding official wind direction and which form to use clarified.
- 2024-21 Spin Exit Reference to Wings Parallel; clear up confusion on whether "Parallel" refers to the span (wingtip-to-wingtip) or chord (leading edge to trailing edge).
- 2023-22 Horizontal Lines Constant Altitude: reworded 27.5.1. Horizontal lines are to be flown at a constant altitude and judged on flight path not attitude.
- 2024-23 Add heading Requirement for 45-degree lines; 27.4.2. The aircraft's heading must remain parallel to the X or Y axis.
- 2024-24 Scorability Weather Exception; replace "sun and weather" with "Obscuration" of the aircraft.
- 2024-29 Snap Rolls for Intermediate Unknown; added "24.6.a.). ii. Snap rolls not permitted following half-loops.
- 2024-30 Revise Half-snaps in Intermediate Unknown; 37.2.25 Delete on 45 up lines and add positively loaded 1/2 horizontal snap.
- 2024-33 Clarify Square & Octagon Loops Ending; existing rule 28.12.2 unchanged, revision does provide more clarity to both judges and competitors.
- 2024-34 Handling of Improper Restarts; 15.1.5.c). clarification doesn't revise intent of existing rule but does provide more clarity to both judges and competitors.
- 2024-35 Gliders cannot Change Flight Path Between Figures; 22.214.171.124. Any change to flight path between figures shall be penalized one point per five (5) degrees.
- 2024-36 Quarter-Clover Wind Deductions; 28.3.5. the second half-loop of a Figure 0.1 Quarter-Clover and the first half-loop of a Figure 0.2 Quarter-Clover must be wind corrected to maintain a constant radius.
- 2024-40 Update 4-min Freestyle Eligibility; 35.4.1. added "those who have current FAA Airshow Certification to a floor of no more than 250 feet for the U.S. Department of Defense demonstration Team".
- 2024-41 Update Glider Advanced Unknown Program Max Total Figure K; Moved from 145 K to 160K.
- 2024-45 Add Safety Director to Tech Committee; 5.1.2. added Safety Director to the Technical Committee.
The full report is included in the 11-10 Fall Board Meeting packet: www.iac.org/meeting-docs