2023 U.S. National Aerobatic Championships
Bulletin 3 Released
This bulletin addresses numerous operational procedures and other important elements of the contest. Please visit the Special Rules & Procedures page. At the bottom of the page is a list of downloadable documents that govern the conduct of the U.S. Nationals and provide additional special information.
U.S. Nationals events - visitors welcome for medal and awards presentation
The US Nationals has two events that visiting family and friends can attend; the medals dinner, Thursday September 28 and the Awards Banquet on Friday, September 29.
Friends and family who did not pre-purchase tickets before September 10th are still welcome to attend the awards portion of the medals dinner and banquet but will not be allowed into the banquet rooms until after the meals have been served.
Bulletin No.2 - U.S. National Aerobatic Championships
June 13, 2023
Greetings members of the IAC. Spring is finally upon us, and with it comes the start of the 2023 contest season. I, like many of you, am looking forward to getting back into the contest box and spending time amongst dear friends, many of which we only have the pleasure of seeing at IAC events.
Planning and preparations for the 2023 U.S. Nationals in Salina continues. As a reminder, the official contest dates are September 24-29. Practice dates will be September 21-23. Contest registration will be opened on the IAC contest calendar beginning May 15th. As always, registration and payment are required to reserve a practice slot on the official practice day (Sept 23rd) via the IAC website. Practice on unofficial practice days (Sept 21st & 22nd) will be coordinated onsite or via email with Gary Debaun and Jeff Granger, who do an exceptional job keeping us safe and on-schedule each year.
The Hilton Garden Inn will once again serve as the official contest hotel and host the Sunday Mixer (Sept 24th) and the awards banquet on Friday evening (Sept 29th). A separate event will be organized on Thursday evening (Sept 28th) for the presentation of the individual flight medals and the auction. This event is in the very early stages of planning, but will be an evening filled with fun, laughter, and celebration.
- Three hotels with discounted room rates - Book Today! www.iac.org/nationals-lodging-camping
- Pre-registration is open! www.iac.org/contests. Scroll down to 2023 US National Aerobatic Championships and click on the dark blue "Register" button to the right of the contest title.
- As always, registration and payment are required to reserve a practice slot on the official practice day (Sept 23rd) via the IAC website. Unofficial practice days (Sept 21st & 22nd) are first come first serve; however, you can contact Gary Debaun (b747inst [at] aol.com) to get your name on the list before arrival.
- The Awards Banquet fee is waived for all competitors and volunteers. Get tickets for $50/each when you pre-register for your family and friends. Tickets will not be sold on site.
Registration is OPEN
May 15, 2023
Registration for the 2023 U.S. National Aerobatic Championship is open for pilots and volunteers at www.iac.org/contests. Scroll down to 2023 US National Aerobatic Championships and click on the dark blue "Register" button to the right of the contest title.
The U.S. Nationals take place SEPTEMBER 24 - 29, 2023 in Salina, Kansas.
Get all the details for hotels, events during the week, entry fees and links to photo galleries, social media and the LIVE feed on YouTube here: www.iac.org/nationals
Bulletin No.1 - U.S. National Aerobatic Championships
March 18, 2023
Greetings members of the IAC. My name is Shad Coulson and I have been appointed by the IAC Board of Directors as the Contest Director for the 2023 U.S. National Aerobatic Championships, in Salina, Kansas.
In Bulletin No.1 are the initial plans for the 2023 U.S. Nationals. Among them are:
- Official Contest Dates: Practice September 21-23, and Contest flights September 24-29.
- Entry fees
- Encouragement for expanding the Nationals Judge Pool - see the updated P&P 214, which reclassifies judges from Regional/National titles to Grading Judges and Senior Grading Judges. Also adding Chief Judge training and certification.
- Flight medal presentation will be separate from the awards banquet. More details to follow.
- Official Hotel - Hilton Garden Inn will host the Sunday evening mixer (September 24) and the Awards Banquet (September 29)
2023 U.S. National Unlimited and Advanced Glider Aerobatic Championships Wrap up.
Congratulations to all the pilots, volunteers and organizers for a safe and fun contest!
1st Place: Shad Coulson
2nd place: Jospeh Gerner
3rd place: Mallory Lynch
4th place finisher Dante Cyrus (U.S.Air Force Aerobatic Team) shared
the spotlight when Mallory brought him up to congratulate him for continually
nipping at his heals every step of the way.
1st place Jason Stephens
2nd place: Jim Bourke
3rd place: Sasa Marvin
The scores from the U.S. National Unlimited/Advanced Glider Aerobatic Championships, which took place at the Estrella Classic contest can be found in the scoring database here: https://iaccdb.iac.org./contests/829
2023 U.S. NATIONALS NEW CD APPOINTED
2023 U.S. NATIONALS CD RESIGNS
December 31, 2022
Mike Heuer has resigned as contest director for the U.S. National Aerobatic Championships. "The reasons are personal and private, and I would like to leave it at that," said Mike in a statement on his Facebook page. "That said, aerobatics, the IAC, and the Nationals have been and will be a huge part of my life in years to come. I just cannot devote the time to this as our members deserve. I hope to be in Salina this year in some capacity but that will be decided by the new contest director, whoever she or he might be. In the meantime, fly safe everyone and I hope to see you somewhere this year -- be it Salina, Oshkosh, or Las Vegas (where the WAAC will be held). Life intervenes in our plans and future, and I treasure all the friendships I have made during my five-decade participation in this wonderful sport."